University of Surrey

Test tubes in the lab Research in the ATI Dance Research

Prevalence of tobacco, cocaine and alcohol use amongst patients attending for Methadone-Maintenance Therapy in a rural setting

Patton, R and Henriquez-Gonzalez, O (2012) Prevalence of tobacco, cocaine and alcohol use amongst patients attending for Methadone-Maintenance Therapy in a rural setting Journal of Substance Use: for nursing, health and social care.

[img] Text
substance use among methadone patients draft.pdf
Restricted to Repository staff only
Available under License : See the attached licence file.

Download (444kB)
[img] Text (licence)
SRI_deposit_agreement.pdf
Restricted to Repository staff only

Download (33kB)

Abstract

Background: Patients receiving methadone-maintenance therapy appear more likely to have other substance-use disorders than do people in the general population and often fail to receive treatment for these conditions. Coexisting substance-use disorders are associated with poor health outcomes amongst current or former heroin users. The aim of this study was to establish the prevalence of the use of tobacco, cocaine and alcohol amongst patients attending for community-based methadone-maintenance therapy. Methods: Cross-sectional survey of patients prescribed methadone as to treat opiate dependence. Results: Prevalence of tobacco, cocaine and alcohol use in the sample were 91.18%, 11.18% and 42.01%, respectively. Most respondents were found to be dependent upon tobacco. In contrast, most patients were found to have no dependence upon alcohol. In total, 145 patients (85.80%) had Alcohol Use Disorders Identification Test PC (AUDIT PC) scores below 5, indicating lower risk drinking, while the remaining 24 (14.20%) had AUDIT scores of 5 or above, indicating higher risk drinking. Conclusions: There are higher rates of self-reported tobacco, cocaine and alcohol use disorders amongst methadone-maintained individuals than those reported in individuals from the general population. The findings illustrate the importance of identifying coexisting tobacco, cocaine and alcohol use disorders in methadone-maintained patients, since these issues can significantly impair patients’ quality of life and affect treatment outcomes.

Item Type: Article
Divisions : Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
Authors :
NameEmailORCID
Patton, RUNSPECIFIEDUNSPECIFIED
Henriquez-Gonzalez, OUNSPECIFIEDUNSPECIFIED
Date : 1 April 2012
Identification Number : 10.3109/14659891.2012.675399
Depositing User : Symplectic Elements
Date Deposited : 28 Mar 2017 14:41
Last Modified : 31 Oct 2017 14:30
URI: http://epubs.surrey.ac.uk/id/eprint/338629

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item

Downloads

Downloads per month over past year


Information about this web site

© The University of Surrey, Guildford, Surrey, GU2 7XH, United Kingdom.
+44 (0)1483 300800