University of Surrey

Test tubes in the lab Research in the ATI Dance Research

Wind tunnel experiments on a fully appended laminar flow submersible for oceanographic survey

HUGGINS, A and PACKWOOD, A (1995) Wind tunnel experiments on a fully appended laminar flow submersible for oceanographic survey Ocean Engineering, 22 (2). pp. 207-221.

[img] Text
P&Hexpmt.pdf
Restricted to Repository staff only

Download (735kB)

Abstract

This paper reports experimental measurements of the hydrodynamic forces acting on a low drag submersible. The model was manufactured using standard, cost-effective methods without undue attention paid to the roughness or waviness of the model's surface. It was seen, using flow visualisation techniques, that the laminar boundary layer extended over 70% of the vehicle length; furthermore, no separation of the flow was seen over the remaining 30% of the body. Hydrodynamic forces were measured, and a significant reduction in drag was found compared with standard turbulent submersible shapes. The low drag performance was quite resilient to changes in incidence, showing a large drag ''bucket'' for angles of incidence between +/- 4-degrees. With the addition of a set of cruciform fins at the rear of the body, incorporating control surfaces, it was found that for a centre of gravity position forward of 41.3% of the body length, the vehicle would be statically stable both stick-free and stick-fixed. Finally, using a pitot tube wake rake the velocity profile of the boundary layer at the propeller location was found to be that of an attached, turbulent boundary layer closely matching a 1/5.35 power law. The importance of full interference measurement tests to allow for the support strut effects is clearly demonstrated.

Item Type: Article
Authors :
NameEmailORCID
HUGGINS, AUNSPECIFIEDUNSPECIFIED
PACKWOOD, AUNSPECIFIEDUNSPECIFIED
Date : February 1995
Identification Number : 10.1016/0029-8018(94)00005-0
Related URLs :
Depositing User : Symplectic Elements
Date Deposited : 28 Mar 2017 15:25
Last Modified : 31 Oct 2017 14:06
URI: http://epubs.surrey.ac.uk/id/eprint/2907

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item

Downloads

Downloads per month over past year


Information about this web site

© The University of Surrey, Guildford, Surrey, GU2 7XH, United Kingdom.
+44 (0)1483 300800